1/7/11 CC Executive Meeting Outcome

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by Tim50, Jan 8, 2011.

1. This was a quote I read about the possibility of crossbow inclusion possibily taking another step forward. The Meeting was yeaterday and I just wonder the outcome. The WI hunters have some major hurdles to overcome but getting this far is a major step in the eventual inclusion. Every journey must start with a single step! Thanks for any info.

2. Cross bow in WI?

I'm all for it, however we see how hard the Archery orgs. in this state will fight it. Rather than adding more hunters to the archery season, they would rather run them off. It's the, "do it our way or not at all" type attitude that will be our demise. At a time when hunters numbers are falling, why not add a sport that will bring in more numbers.

You see I am disabled and bow hunted with the traditional archery equipment, now I must use a cross bow, To me there is nothing for the purist's to fret about. Try hunting with a cross bow and see how cumbersome they are. Hunters still can only take what your tag allows.
    Nothing to fight over, I hope it goes through, someday!:wink:

3. So tell us Ron, how many of those bowhunters are disabled hunters and older hunters hunting with crossbows?

It's not an accident that Wisconsin archery participation shows a decline between the ages of 40 and 64 and then picks up again once older hunters qualify for using a crossbow. Subtract disabled hunters and seniors from those archery participation numbers and archery participation is flatlining, if not falling in Wisconsin.

4. Regarding the APC model that you noted, the only one of the 3 models chosen that showed a slight projected increase, keep in mind that the report makes the following comment about that methodology;

The APC model best incorporates age, period, and cohort effects. It is unique in that it assumes that younger generations of females are significantly more likely to hunt than previous generations, and it assumes that the Baby Boom generation will continue to hunt as they reach older ages (up to age 70) than older generations who came before them. Note: this is a new type of model that has not been well tested.

It would appear that there is "a whole lot of assumin' going on" in order for that model to come to pass.

Now as to the response to the dnr survey, it paints a worse picture then we thought. It shows that Wisconsin has an aging bow hunting population and is not doing an adequate job of either recruiting younger hunters or retaining older ones. A healthy bowhunting population would show the bulk of participants between the ages of 30 and 40 with a gradual tailing off as age progress's, instead of the dramatic decline indicated by those numbers. If the median age continues to advance, at some point there is going to be a significant drop in the total bowhunting population. Time to incorporate some changes that will beef up youth recruitment in a tangible fashion, it seems that the current methods are not getting the job done.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
  5. The fact is that the average age of bowhunters in Wisconsin continues to increase, despite the best efforts under current regulations to recruit and retain hunters. That is simply a fact.

This graphic from the WDNR demonstrates the shift in average age that is occurring under the current regulations. This graphic tells us two things; that not enough youth are being recruited to replace the number of currently participating bowhunters, which results in the average age getting increasingly older and also the fact that the regulatory change that allowed seniors 65+ years old had a positive impact, in terms of increasing the number of seniors that continued to hunt.

[​IMG]

In order to the reverse the trend and start to reduce the average age of bow hunters in WI, increased numbers of youth need to be recruited and the drop off of hunters after they reach age 50 needs to be reduced. Crossbows provide the solution for both of these issues.

As far as the premise that woman and youth have abundant opportunities under the present rules, so therefore no changes need to be considered, that is flawed reasoning. Regardless of what opportunities are available currently, the fact is that not enough youth hunters are being recruited and very, very few woman participate in the sport. While some might feel that the attitude "We have done enough, it's their own fault if they choose not to participate" is a good one, it fails to accomplish the goal of sustaining hunter numbers over the long term. Other states have found that crossbow inclusion is an incredibly effective tool for increasing youth participation and getting more women involved in hunting during archery season. Crossbow inclusion could be an equally effective tool to accomplish this goal in WI, as well.