Another shed season is here

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by kurtish, Jan 28, 2009.

1. kurtish

kurtish Guest

They're starting to show up out there! I've been hiking whenever I get the chance and have managed to come up with 5 so far. Nothing huge but enough to keep the sheditis at bay. Here are a few pics

1st of the year, found jan. 6th on the edge of a deer bed
    [​IMG]

Nice 4 point, my favorite sight of winter....tines poking through the snow
    [​IMG]

Base up 4 point
    [​IMG]

2. Steve

Steve Staff Member

I still don't know how you guys find them. Seems like looking for a needle in a haystack to me.

3. those look like some nice finds! How much snow do you have down there? It doesn't look too deep, which makes it much nicer for walking in the woods.

4. great job! do you find alot near or by beds? i've tried the last 2 yrs. to find sheds with lil' success.

5. kurtish

kurtish Guest

Scrappy,
    We have about 2 feet with a crust somewhere in there....it has made for miserable walking but I just can't help but struggle through it this time of year.

Cruiserdebo,
    Yeah I find most of mine in bedding or feeding areas, the biggest key is to find where they are feeding and then look for thermal cover that they will bed in. Thermal cover can be a break in the terrain that protects them from the wind or in the form of evergreens. They will spend alot of time bedded very close to food this time of year also so the real key is to find where they are eating and you will find the sheds.

6. found a few

over the years, including a nice set from what I assume was the same 8 point buck...but that was in the early spring, not in the winter with all this snow. I think the squirrels and porcupines find most of them before we do. My goal is to find a full set of elk antlers someday...especially since it doesn't look like I'll ever shoot one, at least not in Wisconsin.

7. Well I got this picture of a buck that I should take out but I dont want to waste a tag on him.

[​IMG]

Then a few days later right where this picture was taken I found this. 16 1/4" long spike

[​IMG]

8. kurtish

kurtish Guest

Nice waterdog! Your camera flash must have scared the shed out of him. lol

9. thanks, i am finding alot of beds in the woods close to cedar trees. still no sheds, maybe they are all does.... or bucks not shedding yet by me.

10. kurtish

kurtish Guest

The little February thaw we've had has been good for exposing some antlers. Picked up 7 last week with these three being my best finds on the year so far.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Steve

Steve Staff Member

Great pictures. Keep them coming!

12. My brother and I found two a week or so ago. Now my dad and brother went back to the same spot this week and found two more. One was a match from the previous group. I plan on hitting the woods again this weekend. I found some good deer traffic, now I just need to find their beds and what they are feeding on. good luck to all!

13. Wow....still three feet of snow here.

14. Steve

Steve Staff Member

There's still 2+ feet in NW Michigan.