Brassicas planted

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by buck83, Aug 6, 2008.

1. buck83

buck83 Guest

Just finished planting my brassicas. Wish I did it a little earlier, but better late than never.

When do most of you plant your rye, winter wheat, and oats? I'm itching to get the job done, but am concerned about planting too early. I heard that if planted too early they become stemmy and less palatable to the deer. Any advice?

2. Steve

Steve Staff Member

I plant my rye mid to late August.

3. buck83

buck83 Guest

Thanks Steve, I'll plan on doing the same.

What I plan on doing is using a rye/oat mix as a cover crop for a new clover field I am planting.

My hope is that the clover will be nice next year and the rye/oats will be a draw for the deer this fall.

4. kurtish

kurtish Guest

End of August would be good. Labor day weekend is when I typically plant small grains for my hunting plots. They will be tender and highly desired early on in the bow season. It sounds like you have a good plan buck

5. Here in the southern part of the state we try to get in by labor day weekend. With it being so dry I did not get mine in until September 3rd right before this all day soaking rain. The food plot god was looking down on me. I planted Dwarf Essex rape, some clover, Buck Forage Oats winter wheat and a mixture of leftover brassicas about 1-1/2 acres overall.