close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cwd

Discussion in 'Wildlife Diseases' started by silver_yummies, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Is it still a big concern? I don't hear them talking about it as much anymore.

2. It is just as big of a concern as before. I have been reading quite abit about CWD. So far in the past couple of years it has been not spreading to bad. I seems to be staying pretty much in the area that it was discovered. Don't know if the method that the DNR is using is going to get rid of it or not. But then again, most of the states that have CWD have not been able to eradicate it either. The somewhat recent discovery that it is transmitted by saliva may come up in the future. This could impact baiting in the future. Myself I feel that baiting is doing no more harm than what the deer do to themselves. Stop the baiting and no saliva spreading. Not true....deer lick and preen each other all the time. And one of the areas they lick on is the eyes, a known area of transmission. Alot of it may be put on the back burner soon. The DNR is not going to be able to afford the cost. The rules are so complicated for hunting deer that you need to be lawyer to figure them out. EAB has many up in arms and causes people to do illegal things. To create an EAB in the one state of the U.S. that produces the most record bucks would annoy any hunter. Anyway, I am getting off my soapbox. Sorry for the long winded rant !!!!!!

3. Steve

Steve Staff Member

It sure is a nasty disease to deal with. Bovine TB is one thing but CWD seems to be much harder to totally eradicate. What is Wisconsin doing right now to try and deal with it?

4. The DNR is atually not doing one damn thing to eradicate CWD... The things they are doing are making things worse. CWD is an excuse for them to finally knock the population down to where THEY want it. In my area that meens 5 deer per square mile... Thats rediculas. Anywho, to stay on track, eradication was tried years ago out west to control CWD and it was found that lowering the population spreads the disease faster because the bucks increase there home ranges in search for does. Bucks have higher percentages of having CWD.
    Look at the structure of the DNR... The head person is Gov. Doyle. When he got into office he fired all the top DNR staff... All the people who had bioligy degrees, and built there way up from the bottom learning how to manage Wisconsins wildlife. He replaced these people with his ex-secratary, his Lawyer, and other friends who ran fund raisers for him as pay back. These people who don't even hunt are making our decisions on how to handle Wisconsins wildlife.
    SAVE WISCONSINS WHITETAILS ERADICATE THE DNR!!!
    [​IMG]

5. THE FACTS:

Here is what Wyoming DNR officials had to say about Wisconsin officials scare tactics about CWD spreading to humans:

Here is why we cannot "eradicate" CWD from Wisconsin according to UW Scientists:

State Representative Garey Bies regarding where CWD came from in Wisconsin.:

Statement by Dan Infalt on Rabies VS CWD
    Quotes from MATT VERDON DNR CWD Cordinator, in an email response to Dan Infalt:
    Matt
    Q Matthew Verdon
    Chronic Wasting Disease Data Coordinator
    Bureau of Wildlife Management
    Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources

Dan Infalt on safety issues since CWD regulations went into effect:
    Quality Deer Management Association on CWD management
    Uplands Branch (QDMA)
    Aldo Leopold, on wildlife Eradication way back in 1944:
    Attorney David Mandell
    A Safe & Sane Alternative to the
    Wisconsin DNR Deer Slaughter
    Dr. James Kroll
    Colorado DNR Scientist speaks about CWD culling
    Colorado Officials comment on there 30+ years of CWD
    Professor Charles Southwick comments on culling CWD deer.

6. Steve

Steve Staff Member

That's an interesting angle that by decreasing the herd size it would increase the range of the bucks thereby spreading the disease....

7. One thing to keep in mind, though, Miller and Southwick are talking about reducing densities in Colorado, where the typical herd density in CWD areas is 5-10 DPSM. That is a totally different situation than we find in Wisconsin and Michigan where average deer densities are in the 30-40 DPSM and in some areas may be as high as 80 DPSM. In low density areas, reducing the herd may cause an increase in bucks range, that might possibly contribute to spreading CWD to areas where it did not previously exist. In high density areas like the midwest, the average buck is not going to have to range very far to find another willing doe, even if populations were reduced by 50%. Apples to oranges comparison given the different types of densities involved.

Reducing population levels down to a reasonable level from the grossly over-populated levels that have been allowed in recent years is the responsible thing to do, both for helping to reduce the potential for the spread of CWD and also for a whole host of other reasons.

8. Steve

Steve Staff Member

From what I've seen so far in Michigan it doesn't seem like our DNR has a real good handle on what's going on yet. Hopefully we can learn from WI.

9. sad

What's sad about the whole mess in Michigan is that so many other things besides deer are going to pay the price...all the healthy wild deer, wild turkeys, heck, even the songbirds. I've heard people are afraid to fill their bird feeders over there.

I do not agree with how the Michigan DNR is handling their ONE case of CWD...!!!!

10. Mass hysteria is the simple way to describe WI attack on CWD!

11. Alot of new cases of cwd are found in deer farm deer so the DNR bans baiting around that area.What about all the deer scents that are collected from deer farm raised deer.Did they check to see if this can aide in the disease spreading?

12. People have had enough of the DNR's attempt to ban feeding and baiting. There is a large group of land owners in Price and Taylor county that plan on shutting down the snowmobile trails on their property if the baiting ban takes affect in their area with many more to follow you can bet. I'll make sure I do my part to help.

13. I wont punish the sledders because of a DNR rule. I did threaten to close my two trails though the year that the wsa was fighting the move fto a late doe season only for the reason that their trails would not open right after deer season. (the trail on my land would not open unless they changed their tune) They asked me to sign a 2 year agreement after that. LOL

14. While I don't support the way the DNR has dealt with CWD, the EAB program has definately given my area the boost it needed from a management standpoint.

In previous years, it was pretty rare to see bucks, let alone any that had above a 6 point rack. Over the past 6 years, I have watched ratios go from 6/5:1 to 3:1 based on late summer scouting in my hunting area. Most of the hunters in my area are accepting to the EAB and hunt as such. But I know many of them wish it was still the way it was. The best thing I have seen is that there are many more mature bucks this year than in previous years, some have heavy racks, drop tines, and/or 10 points typical.

Seeing this improvement in the local deer heard, even in a CWD management zone, shows me that the EAB requirements have helped my hunting experience more than it has hindered it.

15. You my friend are ONE of very few Hunters who liked EAB.
    I don't mean any disrespect to your opinion, however I personally don't know anyone who liked it. It EAB, has destroyed our area for many years to come. Yeah, we saw more bucks cause there aren't any does left. It will take many years of shooting NO Does, for our area to have some deer for my children to hunt.:frown::frown: