close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Decoy Action While Bowhunting

Discussion in 'Deer Cam Pictures' started by Terrific_tom, Nov 25, 2007.

1. A lot of you may remember about the action I had 2 weeks ago bowhunting over a decoy that I had posted. Well I went up to my land to check cameras and as promised I have pictures. Unfortunately the cam didn't take pictures when the buck was right at the decoy but got some cool shots. 1st four pics are of a frisky nub buck that checked the decoy out. The week before he tried mounting the decoy. The last 3 pics are of a 8 point that I left walk. I had a larger 8 point the day before but the 9 volt battery for the board was dead. The decoy is 15 yards from my stand. After looking at the pictures I think I am going to regret not shooting the larger 8 from night before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Steve

Steve Staff Member

Very cool. That's a great idea putting a camera out to view the reactions to a decoy. The reactions that I've seen in person have been nothing but negative.

3. I just want to know when is the best time to put up my trail camera

4. I use my Trailcams year round.

5. I take my cameras out of the woods around mushroom season people will cross any fence they want to find a mushroom. I think it is the best time to loose a camera. That is the only time I take them out of the woods.

6. Tom great pictures. You have gave me a idea I'm going to set a camera up this weekend and put a turkey decoy in front of it. I will report in a week on what I get.

7. Boysen
    I had a I-40 stole last year the weekend opening of bear in uit c and that also would be the weekend before bow opens. (also mushroom season) whether or not that was the case I dont know but your theory holds well in my case.
    I take the cams out around Martin luter king day and put em back out when I start baiting bear (about now) I used to have them out for turkey season but after that 200 dollar hit I took last year I am a bit more conservative.

8. I plan to start decoying heavy this year again. I had one buck I took at about 8 yrds. He was a nice 8 point and the decoy had him totally whacked (he was on a scent trail). I have had good luck w ith decoys on buicks during the rut. Does dont seem to like newbies in thier plots IMO. So I and a bit split on when and where to use them. I can say though that hunting over a decoy makes a slow day of hunting more interestin LOL you see and imagine a deer all the time

9. Tom, Awesome pics! I let 2 go this year that looked like him. They both were whacked right after wards by guys in my group. Im lettin em grow till the monster comes into my sights.