Early season report w/pics

Discussion in 'Mississippi River Basin' started by WILDCATWICK, Mar 17, 2009.

1. My wife and I decided to drive to Wisconsin for the special early season. After tying flies all winter in order to keep our boxes full all season, we get the bug bad to get on the water.

The opener weekend was a complete blow out. All rivers in the area we went were blown out. They were all over the bank with zero visibility. Usually these rivers all run gin clear, not Swiss Miss brown! After driving around for hours and checking over 10 rivers we called it quits.

This past weekend was a different story. Many of the rivers were back to their normal levels and clarity with a few of them having a bit of stain. Regardless of the conditions there was going to be some redemption.

Our trips start on 4 lane highways. Then it lowers down to 3, then 2, than 1, until we finally reach dirt roads and one lane bridges. It's funny but going down the road in such a fashion eases me in to a peaceful frame of mind and to finally come up to spot like this brings a big smile to my face.....

[​IMG]

Then to jump out and see that the water is ideal makes me excited to put the pole together...

[​IMG]

Water temps were still in the upper 30's and the fish were not very active. But many were willing to hit larger nymphs that were fished right on the bottom. Nothing like early spring and sunshine.....

[​IMG]

I wound up catching around 25 trout. Most of them were around 10" to 12" but there were two that were 15". But my smile was just as big regardless of the sizes...

[​IMG]

Catch a fish, then walk to seek out the next hole, that's pretty much how the day went. While walking I found this nest....empty now, will a bird take advantage of this home?
    [​IMG]

A hole like this may not have anything in it today but when water warms up a bit there be something there!
    [​IMG]

This guy came out of a much deeper hole at the next bend...
    [​IMG]

This area that we were in, has been going under major restoration. The evidence was all around. Here is some left over materials from the falls project. It sure is nice to see....
    [​IMG]

At a point there were tons of size 18 to 20 BWO's all over the water but the trout were not looking up at all.....maybe next time out[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2009
  2. Steve

Steve Staff Member

Nice post. Thanks for sharing.