Food Plot Suggestions

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Management' started by doublelunger, Dec 3, 2009.

1. I am working on establishing food plots on our land in Florence County (far NE Wisc) where soil is mostly sand/loam. I have planted a turnip, clover, rape mix that I purchased from a wisconsin supplier (now out of business) that grew really well but did not last into the gun season as it was browsed to nothing. Looking for what others suggest given our growing season. Ideally would like to plant in spring and let 'er grow all through season. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks.

2. I would suggest you give buckwheat a try. Plant it in the late spring early summer so it is still available during deer season. If you plant it to early it will be all done by gun season. Also a como soybean corn mix should do well. If the plots are consistantley over browsed, you will probably need more acres in food plots to lessen the pressure. Maybe a bordering landowner would be up for it if you don't have enough land to ad more or bigger plots. Try to keep some of your plots in the brassica, clover, turnip mix. Good luck

3. doublelunger, what did you ever decide on and how did it work out?

4. Decision Made

Well, after reading many magazine articles, talking to a few local folks, and Internet research, here is what happened.
    I ended up purchasing a small 3 pt. disk drag that we modified with some weights and a tongue to pull with an atv. I cleared as much of the area I wanted to plant as possible, disked the soil added pelletized lime and fertilizer and "leveled" the ground with a piece of gravel screen.

I ended up planting a mix of turnip, rape, clover, sugar beets, plaintain and alfalfa and chicory. I found a guy in Central Wisconsin that sold a mix. Unfortunately, he fell ill and is no longer is business. A farmer by trade, he answered a lot of my questions and was very helpful. I have since purchased my seed from www.maxirack.com. I have no affiliation with this company, however, they sell a variety of mixes as well as seed by the pound. I have had excellent results with their products.

As a relative newcomer to this food plotting thing, I can say this 1. It is better to lime on the heavy side over fertilizing 2. Of the varieties of seed mentioned above all have done well except for rape. It grows very sporadically compared to all the other seed and is much smaller. 3. If you are going to plant in sand, it is best to break up that top layer of "sod" but do not work the ground too deeply! sand gets looser and fluffier the deeper you get. When it rains heavily your seed could settle in too deep. 4. Lastly, this becomes addicting. Now I start planning where to expand or where to start other plots! it is fun and rewarding especially when your trail cameras show the deer hitting the plot on a regular basis.

For next year, I am considering frost seeding over the existing plot. Since some of the seed I planted is perennial and some annual. I have heard and read good things on frost seeding. If I do , I will include turnip, sugarbeet (annuals) chicory and clover (perennials) I am also planning on a fall plot of winter wheat or winter rye, as some of the local people are doing that. It is easy to plant and seed is really cheap.

5. One more thing...

I should mention that last year I had forage turnips that grew the size of tennis balls, same with the sugar beets!, The deer love them and will dig them up. The clover and chicory get pretty well clipped to the ground by gun season. The alfalfa was an addition this year and seems to being doing well and should stay green into gun season thanks to the recent rains.