Habitat Improvments on my land

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by IQDM, Dec 17, 2011.

1. A few weeks ago I stumbled across a thread and a guy was talking about hinge cutting aspen... I can tell you from first hand experience that hinging that type of trees does not work!
    These are poplar I believe, but poplar, birch, aspen... same type of tree
    [​IMG]
    I have a lot of these trees on my property and when I first learned of hinge cutting, I gave it a shot. As you can see, I created a mess, but the trees did not survive.
    [​IMG]

Many of them have broken off and only left a stump remaining.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The deer do not go into this area because the trees are laying across eachother in every direction. So the mess needs to go! I will just let it re-generate and in no time it will be thick bedding!
    We took all of the dead trees and piled them up along the edge of the "bedding area"... This is what the area looks like now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Our next project for the day was to block field entrances along this tree line.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One hour later...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now the deer will be forced to funnel around this mess and will travel within chip shot range of our bow stands on each end!

3. I took a walk today in the strip plots in search of sheds... No Luck, but the plots look good yet and there is still plenty of food!

Soybeans:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Brassicas have been stripped, but there is still plenty available under the snow:
    [​IMG]

Corn/Soybeans... Still looking good:
    [​IMG]

Cereal grain mix looks rough from a distance, but if you get close you can see that there is plenty of green left in there! :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I feel that I have a deer herd that is lower than the carrying capacity of my area. Add that to the fact that this winter has been very easy on the local deer herd, leaves me set for food until spring green up :)

4. Good to hear about the little blue stem being great for turkeys. No shortage of deer near me but have seen less of turkey numbers the last few years. So I will try what I can to help with habitat. Windstorms have changed the woods nearby some though.

I also use a couple of t-posts and support ropes for my oaks and crabapples when they get to be about 8-10 ft tall. Usually just cut the tube off and wrap about 4 ft tall of window screen material at the bottom. Did not have any trouble with bucks rubbing this setup this fall. I have had deer bust off tree tubes from their stakes in the past by having the wires ripped out from tubex (blue plastic) brand. I don't use these anymore although they were cheaper than the tree pro I use now.