Hartmann Creek State Park + Ice Age Trail... PHOTOS.

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by KC9UKH, Sep 5, 2011.

1. My wife and I drove out to Hartmann Creek State Park yesterday and walked a few miles on the Ice Age Trail. The weather was nice 'n cool and there weren't any bugs at all either. The mosquitoes must've been kept at bay due to the cooler weather that came out of nowhere. It was SO quiet, as well.

[​IMG]

It was scenic the entire way... we did a total of six miles and it was really amazing to see how quickly the scenery could change from one moment to another. There were a few points where the trails ran adjacent to a couple of different lakes in the area.

[​IMG]

For the most part though, the trail seemed to snake its way through heavily wooded areas. Some of the areas were clearer than others. At one point during our hike, there were a couple of turkey vultures flying overhead and circling one particular area. And it was so quiet, we could actually hear their wings flapping in the air. It was crazy...

[​IMG]

I can't recall how many different varities of wild mushrooms we saw. Every color of the rainbow and many different shapes... this is one of the more unique ones that we spotted along the way.

[​IMG]

I also learned something new because evidently, all 1,100 miles of the Ice Age Trail that stretches from one end of the state of Wisconsin to the other is entirely maintained by volunteers! I had no idea. I wrote down the toll-free number and am thinking it is something we may try to do in early Spring next year.

[​IMG]

Due to the really bad storms we had in the area on Friday, there were plenty of downed trees along the trail the entire way. It made things interesting that's for sure. Sometimes it was just a few branches and debris... and other times, there were several old pine trees and oak trees along the way. I suppose this is when all of the volunteers come in handy.

[​IMG]

For a couple of the miles we walked along, there were raspberry patches right along the trail ripe for the picking. Of course, some of the patches were empty... but others were chock full of berries. :smile:

[​IMG]

This is a shot I took of one of the more heavily wooded areas along the trail. I call this my "Blair-Witch-Project" shot. I really found it amazing that along the way, you could hear a pin drop if you listened closely enough. All in all, we had a great hike and even packed a lunch so we could stop and eat along the way. If you're in Wisconsin, chances are - you can pick up a section of the Ice Age Trail very close to where you are. I'd definitely recommend it and we plan on doing it again once the leaves begin to change colors. :smile:

[​IMG]

- Scott.

2. Steve

Steve Staff Member

Very cool. Love the Blair witch picture.