Healthy Looking Deer and Turkey

Discussion in 'Deer Cam Pictures' started by Terrific_tom, Apr 13, 2010.

1. I changed my food plots up a little in the last 1 1/2 years to give deer more year round food source and it seems to be paying off. The deer look to be in mid-summer condition.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2010
  2. Steve

Steve Staff Member

What is planted in there?

3. Soybeans closest to the camera and brassicas back by the blind.

4. yes the deer do look tasty :)

5. Tom,
    Are those eagle beans or regular ag beans? I have always planted regular ag beans but I have 1 bag of eagle beans to plant this year, not sure if I am going to like the no pod/bean production on the eagle beans though.

6. They are regular RR ag beans. I took 4 different maturity beans which gave me green growth right up to the 1st hard freeze but still lots of pods to feed the deer and turkey in the fall and winter. If I were you I would pick up a bag of early maturing RR ag beans to mix in with the Eagle beans to give you the best of both worlds. I loved how the Eagle Beans stood up to the grazing of the deer but by them staying green until 1st hard frost and no pods it did nothing for the deer come fall and winter and it showed in how the deer came thru the winter of 2008 -2009. The deer looked terrible and I had some fawns die right in the food plots in the spring of the year. I do believe that Eagle Beans are great for our fellow Food Plotters in the states to the South of us it is much more important to give the deer up here food when it is most critical and that is Fall thru Spring.

7. I have some early maturing beans I bought last fall for $25/bag and was going to plant them with the Eagle's. I like the fact that the Eagle beans will stay green until a frost but I am not sure if they are worth the $80/bag. I have always planted reg RR beans next to corn and the deer will hammer the beans before the corn in late November-December.

8. A couple dozen pumpkin plants dont hurt either in a small area treated the year beforeThe pumpkin meat in the wnter and the seeds in the early spring
    I planted 150 hills this spring