hinge cutting

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by buck83, Jan 11, 2008.

1. buck83

buck83 Guest

I've spent the last few weekends improving my hunting land with my chainsaw. Now is a good time to hinge cut smaller trees to create bedding areas and open up the forest floor. I'm also dropping larger trees to create openings to encourage new growth. Hopefully the sweat equity will pay off next fall.

Anyone else doing any winter habitat work?

2. Fork horn

Fork horn Guest

Now is the time I hope you picked the right place

Yes,

Now is the time to do your tree cutting for the year. Just really stop and think about where you do you hinge cutting... you can mess up entry and exit trails real quick.. and make it very hard to hunt your property.. (not saying you didn't) -- just a little note: Food plots and beeding areas put in the wrong places can do way more harm than good.. so take time to think things over before you cut trees..

3. Steve

Steve Staff Member

Can you successfully hinge cut Oak?

4. Fork horn

Fork horn Guest

You can hinge cut Oak..

Fork horn your post got automatically edited because you tried to post a URL before you have 5 posts in. This helps keep the spammers away.

5. Fork horn

Fork horn Guest

Yes you.. can..??

Yes Oak hinge cuts very well they live well and the wood is stringy and strong so do not brake much if you cut a little farther than you had hoped. It does happen some times..

That said... you sould try to avoid it if you can. Unless you have a ton of small young oaks growing close to each other that are going to shade each other out anyway thining some will not hurt.. or if you have A LOT of younger oaks that will take 10 - 15 years to be worth logging.. I had that happen in Kentuckey.. I was setting a property up and told the owner it would be nice to hinge cut a few of these Oaks but they are nice strate and will be worth a little money in about 10 years.. he laughed and he said "I could be dead in ten years.. I want to kill deer next year.. Cut'em" so I did.

As a rule I try not to cut many if I don't have to.. but there are times I have done it... we all know deer and turkeys like acorns...

6. Fork horn

Fork horn Guest

I don't know

I tried to Spam URLs, but was prevented by WisconsinOutdoorsman.com management. Please bring me to the attention of the moderation staff.

7. Fork horn

Fork horn Guest

I don't know..??

I put the same thing in 5 as I did on the two that are saying I did something wrong

8. Steve

Steve Staff Member

You still only have 5 posts. Once you have more than five posts you can post URLs.

9. After 5 comes the # 6 !!!!!:biggrin:

10. After the 6 comes, then what? A cigarette? I couldn't resist!