hounding

Discussion in 'General Wisconsin Hunting' started by wooly1999, Mar 6, 2009.

1. wooly1999

wooly1999 Guest

I was just wondering if anyone out there had a few tips on training a coyote/coon/bear dog. I'm just starting out and I have found it hard going so far. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Here is a link for training Hounds by a very good and respected houndsman.

http://www.biggamehoundsmen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4167

I will say that if you want a bear dog you don't want it to run coon also. Most bear that the Hounds strike are off of bait sites and these attract many critters besides bear. Coon like the free meals that the bait sites provide and if you run your dogs off the bait and you will never know what they are running till you get to the tree and look up! A lot of what mike writes about is Lion hunting but it all crosses over to bear just by using the proper scent!

3. By far the easiest way is to run them with other expierenced hounds. They will learn from each other. Without that it can be alot more work.

If you have gotten good hunting stock. Then just turning them out will work, but may take longer. I started 4 pups last year all with out an older dog. The old dog sat in the truck. Sometimes it's better to let the young dogs make mistakes, rahter than learn bad habits. Got lucky and it only took 3 drops to tree the first bear. Finding a hot track makes a huge differnce.

Yotes, and cats can be easier. As you can walk the track out with the dogs.

Biggest thing is to hunt them. Then hunt them sme more. If it's in them they will go.

Steve

4. wooly1999

wooly1999 Guest

thanks for the input. most of the bear running that we do is training season because we dont have an area to run during kill season so we dont mind if we tree a coon once in a while.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2009