How are the deer surviving the winter in your neck of the woods

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Steve, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Steve

Steve Staff Member

I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of kill off due to the severity of this winter.

2. went to hunting land in western Clark County this past saturday, More wolfe tracks than deer tracks---had a major clear cutting project just finishing up not far from land---quite a bit of deer sign right in the cut area looking for food and finding a lot---bad thing is Lots of wolfe sign circling the cut---did find 2 deer carcases reasonably fresh either wolfe kill or winter kill, I am leaning wolfe kill---Sad to congregate deer just for the wolves pleasure---snow was much to deep to walk around more than what we did !

3. Steve

Steve Staff Member

Yeah those deer are just sitting ducks for the wolves and coyotes with all this snow. I'm going to try some supplemental feeding in my area.

4. I am wondering if supplemental feeding is a good thing in areas with wolfe packs ? By congregating deer are we making easier targets for wolves ? Just wondering, i am not sure of this H H

5. Steve

Steve Staff Member

Yeah I'm sure the wolves would get conditioned in a hurry to hang out around supplemental feeding sites.