I gave up on deer this weekend

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Waterfowl Hunting' started by Water_Dog, Oct 25, 2009.

1. With all the rain this weekend I gave up trying to sit in a tree for the 30 pointer. My son called me and said he had a field scouted that had duck and geese in it and asked me if I wanted to hunt it with him. So I made the drive down and met him and one of his hunting buds and we went out to the field and we had to hike everything in as the fields were way to wet to drive on. We got set up and waited till shooting time and had a couple mallards cupped and coming in hot. The landed and we seen they were both hens and left them alone. A little while later a pair came in and one was a Drake and my son took that one and in the early light from the clouds the other was a hen and before I could say not to shoot Phil folded that one up.
    Then it got slow for a while with not much happening. All of a sudden we noticed the wind switched and we made a adjustment to the decoys and it was getting cooler. Soon after that it seemed like we were shooting in self defence and in less than 2 hours we had 6 Geese and 12 Mallards. All drakes but the one hen. My son got his first band on one of the drakes so that made it even more special. It was good times!

[​IMG]