JoAnne Flat Face and the Big Brown (report with pics)

Discussion in 'Fly Tying, Trout Fishing' started by WILDCATWICK, May 14, 2008.

1. My wife and I decided to go fly fishing in Wisconsin this past weekend after spending the last few weekends at our camp in Grayling. This decision came in part because of gas prices, time in the vehicle, and a disastrous flat tire on our return trip the previous weekend.

The fishing was fine the previous weekend with plenty of trout and laughs. But it was time to only drive a few hours versus six. So Friday we hopped in the car and headed for the "Driftless area". We encountered rain on the drive that subsided by the time we got to our base camp. W quickly pitched our tent. That tent acts as our base camp for 95% of our fishing trips.

[​IMG][/IMG]

You may notice a cut out character on our tent. Her name is JoAnne Flat Face. I'm participating in a school project where the students send out a "flat face" to someone in hopes of learning something about other people and the area they live in or visit. So JoAnne got to tag along on this trip and make an appearance here and there.

After the camp was set up we managed to fish for just a little bit. There were no bugs on the water but the fish still co-operated.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Saturday morning came early....5:30 am if I recall. But the sun greeted us nicely over the ridge.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

The day was cool and mostly overcast with some sprinkles. The streamering was good.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Often while fishing the banks in Wisconsin one will have company. They don't mind me and I certainly don't mine them. But they sure do leave a mess behind, this place is no place to be bare footing!
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Fishing was darn good. Turning fish every few casts it seemed. It was one of those nice days where conditions were just right.....heck even JoAnne got in on the action
    [​IMG]

There were an amazing amount of fish caught that were between 12" & 14". But there were a few that were a wee bit bigger.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

By the end of the day my arm was sore and I had blister on my hands. It might be time to look at stripping gloves. As the sun was starting to get low in the sky it was time to get the fire going and cook up a few trout. JoAnne, after spending much of the day crammed into a creel was all about getting out for dinner.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

.............thread continues below.

2. Part II

Sunday morning found us all needing to put on our rain gear. It poured hard all night and the river was now way to dark. That comes from having all those cows crossing the stream. The banks are just a mess. JoAnne and her rain gear.

[​IMG][/IMG]

We packed up and decided we would drive east and see if we could find a break in the weather anywhere. Along the way one paces these things....sure would be nice to have a lot more of these around
    [​IMG][/IMG]

We finally reached a spot where the water was pretty darn clear and the storm was not barreling down on us like a semi going thru the hills of the U.P. My wife and I had fished this river only once before but had scouted it several times. It has a reputation of being one of the harder rivers to fishi in Wisconsin because of it's clarity, small size, and ultra spooky trout. This river holds all three species of trout and they are all wild.

We came to several nice spots and turned a few fish. Once I made some adjustments with the style of retrieve I started bringing a few to hand. Then I came to a gorgeous looking spot. I got down on my hands and knees and got with in about 8 feet of the bank. I laid out a cast and started retrieving. I then had on one heck of a fighter. He gave me all he was worth.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Had to just throw in the guides shot!! Now all I have to do is catch a 20" brook trout to get my 20" x 3 this year.[​IMG] Well at least I can dream about catching a brookie that size!