close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Modifications to a portable ice fishing shelter

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Ice Fishing' started by jbird68, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Ice fishing will be here soon and before it gets too cold to work on your sled, what are some modifications you have done to make things easier on the ice?

2. Set up for lake Erie used may 3 times

[​IMG]

weather or work limited my use

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007

3. Nice set-up, but around here most places don't allow ATV's. We have to walk and pull our sled around. I am always looking for a way to reduce the weight I have to pull behind me. Last year the ice was only about 14" thick. I heard this winter is supposed to be sort of mild too. I'd like to add some lights to my shelter though. I found these LED Light Tubes on a website that might do the job. http://www.pcboard.ca/shop/shopexd.asp?id=140 Just have to figure out how to rig up a battery box and maybe a toggle switch or two...depends on how many lights I want to add. I heard a lunch cooler or even an old ammo box to put the battery in so it doesn't flop around in my sled.

4. where we fish is 1 to 5 miles out in Lake Eire to far to walk ..around here with 14 inches we would be driving cars and trucks on it

5. Thats well loaded..you must be standing up to see past it when driving the ATV

6. added side and end braces

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Wow i dont think you could put more on that quad.

[​IMG]

weather or work limited my use

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Steve

Steve Staff Member

What do the inside modifications of that Shappel do?

9. the angle brace from hinge to roof loop helps for set up and take down when doing it by yourself,,,,the side braces stiffen it up and keep the sides from bowing in,, in the wind.and gives you a place to hang stuff ..I also put a cord on the floor openings to tie them up to keep them from falling down...I fish by my self a lot when I do I drill a hole in the ice each side the outside of door drop a piece of conduit with a eye bolt in the center and a weight in one end with a ratchet strap from side to side it lays flat on floor out of the way ...It will hold it in place in the wind....anyone that has used these in the wind I am sure can relate to that or watched someone chase one across the ice

10. Steve

Steve Staff Member

I've done Shappel sailing myself and always anchor it as you describe before anything else.

11. Whats the best ice anchor? I got one with my shelter, but it's a pain to get into the ice. I got my eyes on some other types of anchors.

12. We've always dragged the shanty by hand but we're set up this year with a atv. Before, lighter was better... this year will be different. Might look into modifying now.

Btw, does the wheeler kick up a lot of snow onto the shanty? Was wondering if I needed to throw a tarp over the whole set up.

plum

13. I have a cover on all my rigs I pull behind my ATV or snowmobile .they do throw up snow and slush.depends on what kind of snow

14. Why not install some "Mud Flaps"? do you have a place to install them?