New Cuddeback?

Discussion in 'Deer Cam Pictures' started by nimrod1, Apr 29, 2008.

1. nimrod1

nimrod1 Guest

Just saw in the new Cabela's catalog that Cudde has a new "low end" camera. They have it listed for $199. Any reports on this one yet? Does it replace the Excite, or is it in addition to the Excite?

Any insight Feedman?

2. Steve

Steve Staff Member

You had me scared there for a minute. I thought I was going to have to buy another Cuddeback. I already have a No-Flash and Expert, so I guess I'll hold off on this one.

3. Feed Man

Feed Man Guest

Hi Ed! The two new Cuddebacks are the "Capture" and the "Capture IR".
    They are scaled back versions of the Expert and the No Flash. No video, no timelapse, new password protection, no oversize flash and 70ft range like the Expert. It has a switch for setting time delays with limited settings. Much improved housing along with onboard memory. SD card instead of CF.
    They took allot away from the older versions but also took allot of the price away too. They should be out sometime in June and July.

4. nimrod1

nimrod1 Guest

Thanks for the info Bernie.
    Is the Excite being phased out?
    Do you see them doing any upgrade work on the Expert? Like the improved case?

Come on Steve, I think we would all be very appreciative if you would do a review on one of these new cams.:biggrin:

5. Steve

Steve Staff Member

I have enough cameras ;) I'm going broke trying to keep batteries in them. Need that solar power hookup option from Cuddeback. Might have to rig up something by sodering some wires to some re-chargable batteries and doing it that way.

6. Feed Man

Feed Man Guest

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Excite might be history. I have not heard of any upgrades to the Expert or the No Flash nor do I think there will be. As far as I know right now they will still offer them along with the new models.

7. Feedback from Cabelas

I see this is a fairly old topic, but I was at Cabelas last night and got some feedback on the Capture from their staff. They have gotten good reports from the field on the flash version and not as good on the IR version. People are reporting good picture quality on both during the day, and with the flash version at night, although the range is not as good as the old Cudde line. The IR range in particular appears to be very poor. Cuddeback states 25 feet on IR, but field reports seem to be more in the range of 15 feet. I've been using the Excite and No-Flash for some time now and like the quality of the pics and trigger speed, but have never cared for the user interface or the compact flash format. The new Capture seems to have cured both of those problems, but took away some of the good qualities in the name of price. I hope they take the new user friendliness and SD format and apply it to the higher end line. They should also add the ability to add a solar battery system, as some other manufacturers have, in my opinion. If they did all that, they would have the absolute best system.

8. With the cost of the cuddy's I have just not been able to jump on that band wagon. I get at lest 2 stolen every year even while chained up. So spending the big bucks on something that overall does not seem to do that much better from reviews makes no sense to me.

I do like what the smart scouter has to offer. Still again seeing the units get stolen at that price makes me kringe. At least with them I may get a pic sent to me of the thief.

I have been using the moultrie d40's with great success. Battery life is decent, trigger speed is fine for my use. Cost is low enough if they get stole I'm not to excited by it.

I use mine for bear hunting mostly.

Steve

9. i have a wildview xtreme 2. low cost ok pics for my use. i'm so afraid of it getting stolen so i went with this model for the price. works for me. my bro has a stealthcam which has exellent pic quality for the money.

10. I was using the cuddeback deer cam which used a camera and 35mm film.My wife got tired of all the money I was spending to get film developed, not to mention all the drawer space she lost for pic storage.For christmas she got me a cuddeback capture.It's really simple to setup and program,even I managed to do it on the 1st try.I just got the bearcage which fastens to the tree with lag bolts. The ones supplied are rather short so I'm going to drill out the holes and use a heavier,longer lag bolt.This should make it harder to try and steal.

11. Lag bolting to a try is fine on private property. On public land it's a ticket waitng to happen.

No need for the fancy bear cages in most cases. I have had few problems with them unless getting bait scent on camera. What you can do that is much cheaper with some of the units. Most have a protective cover over the controls and such. Run 3-4 inch dry wall screw from the inside out. Looks like something out of Hellraiser, but the bears don't like to chew it.

Steve

12. I'm on my own property when using lag bolts.So far I've had my deer cam ripped off the tree by a bear and it laid in water for 3 days till I found it. Had to replace the ruined camera.A bear bit the protective cover and punctured the plastic lense,had to replace it.A bear slapped my buddies camera so hard it broke wiring inside.I guess I'll use the fancy bear cage.Pics on the cameras at the time of the damage were at night.We think the flash going off ticked the bears off resulting in the damage.

13. Steve

Steve Staff Member

I use bear boxes on all of mine and knock on wood.... I've never had one ripped off by an animal or person.