New federal guidelines to states for waterfowl hunting seasons

Discussion in 'Frontpage News' started by Wisconsin DNR News, Jul 30, 2010.

1. DNR Central Office - MADISON - Wisconsin wildlife officials announced today that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) is expected to give states two new options for setting duck hunting zones within states. ...

More...

MADISON – Wisconsin wildlife officials announced today that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) is expected to give states two new options for setting duck hunting zones within states. States must work within USFWS rules when setting waterfowl seasons within their borders. The soonest a new duck hunting zone structure for Wisconsin could be implemented would be the 2011 waterfowl hunting seasons.

“This is great news for Wisconsin waterfowl hunters,” said DNR Secretary Matt Frank. “These new options are what we’ve been asking for, for many years – basically the ability to tailor our seasons to our unique Wisconsin landscape and conditions. I’d like to thank everyone who took the time to share their opinions with me, draft letters and support these changes. I especially want to thank the US Fish and Wildlife Service for listening and working with us to make this happen.”

“The extra flexibility these new federal rules will provide means we can create hunting zones and season timing that better match the diversity of duck species and hunter methods throughout Wisconsin, said Kent Van Horn, DNR’s migratory game bird ecologist. “We’ll be able to give hunters more opportunity while continuing to protect the waterfowl resource.”

In Wisconsin, the timing and opportunity for hunting ducks from the northern counties to the south covers a time period from September through December and is much longer than the typical 60 day duck season allowed under current federal waterfowl season-setting guidelines. Providing multiple duck hunting zones allows the opportunity to set different season dates within different zones.

The Department of Natural Resources will be establishing a process with assistance from the Wisconsin Conservation Congress to work with duck hunters of the next several months to develop a new duck hunting zone proposal for submittal to the USFWS by spring 2011.