Nice doe down

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by kurtish, Oct 9, 2008.

1. kurtish

kurtish Guest

On October third I had some time in the evening to slip into the treestand so I showered up and headed out to my 21 acre slice of heaven and slid into my treestand; 14 feet up a white pine that overlooks a field of small grains (winter rye and winter wheat). You can see my tree on the far right of this picture which was taken from where my home is being built.
    [​IMG]
    I was sitting and thinking through my building project, the phonecalls, and all the delegation that needs to happen to get me into my home before the snow flies when i was snapped to attention by a grunt from behind and to my left. Being in a white pine affords great cover but it doesn't allow me to see anything beyond what walks into my shooting lanes...so i was left staring at branches and trying to decipher every little noise that I was able to hear. It wasn't long and I seen legs moving 10 yards behind me through the cover of the sumacs. I caught a glimpse of two baldies as they passed just upwind of my tree and stepped into the field. They were acting nervous and walked straight away from me to about 45 yards and then started feeding. They seemed to calm down and were both working their way back towards me and when the first one got to 30 yards and turned broadside. I drew, anchored and settled my pin on the crease. Upon the release i watched my tracer nock arc right into the pumpstation and they both scampered out through the corner of the field. Listening I was able to hear her crash a short ways inside the woodline.
    Some will say she's just a doe, but to me she means a whole lot more. I purchased this property last year in june and she was the first deer i've taken off of it. It's been a dream of mine to own my own piece of hunting ground, and to see the dream come to reality, and all my sweat equity start to pay off gives me an undescribeable sense of satisfaction. Here's a pic of her the next morning, I didn't have my camera with me so you'll have to excuse the "hangin in the shed" pic as it's all I have.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the long winded doe story, but i really wanted to share...and once i get typing i can't stop :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2008
  2. Steve

Steve Staff Member

Sweet property and nice story. I could sit in that chair you've got out there for a couple of hours!

3. congrats on the deer and congrats on your dreams starting to fall together!

4. Congrats on the backstrap............Does are just as much fun to hunt as big bucks in my opinion!

5. buck83

buck83 Guest

Congrats on making your dreams come true! There is something special about harvesting an animal of your own property. Good luck with the build.

6. awesome!

That doe would be plenty for me. I don't care about horns. Just good eatin', and you've got plenty of that. Congrats!

By the way, that is a VERY nice looking pasture you've got there.

7. kurtish

kurtish Guest

Thanks fellas! yeah she'll definitely be a good eater, unfortunately my freezer is full of elk meat so i had to give her to a needy family that lives down the road from me. They sure appreciated it though....especially with the way the economy is right now.

8. nothing wrong with doing something like that..