Otters

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by scubadiver, Feb 13, 2008.

1. My wife and I were fortunate enough to acquire an acre overlooking a small lake in East Central Wisconsin, and to be able to build our retirement home there. The fishing is fantastic - if you like catching lots of stunted panfish.

One of the old-timers in the area told me that there used to be a couple big northerns in the lake that thinned out the panfish population, but that otters came in and took the northerns.

Sure enough, we've been seeing a pair of otters on the ice, at the edge of the open water (one of the landowners - a real gentleman - runs an aerator which keeps a small circle of water open all winter).

Has any one else seen any otters in the state recently? These are the only ones I've seen since I was a child.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
  2. Lots of otters in WI. Sounds like they me the best thing for your stunted panfish lake. They will thin them out a lot.

Steve

3. kurtish

kurtish Guest

I grew up trapping with my father and we have caught a few over the years. Unfortunately we never caught one when we had an otter tag. Luckily for both the otter and us we caught them in legholds and not drowning sets so we were able to release them. They are a real pretty critter. I'm surprised that they would take a decent size northern....figured they fed on smaller varieties of fish??

4. Otters are one of the best fishermen nature created. The biggest fish I have seen one of them with was a 36" musky. We scared it off, and just had to measure it. Would not suprise me if a big adult male were to take a 50" musky. They are pure muscle. If you had to release one from a trap you know what I'm talking about. It's also suprising how far they go on land. They will travel miles from water in search of food and mates.

Also one of the funnest critters to watch in the wild!

Steve

5. kurtish

kurtish Guest

That's interesting to know steve. I know that they are powerful, we used a pole restraint to hold them down while releasing the tension from the trap jaws.....quite an experience to say the least. I guess that I've always encountered them (or their sign) on small creeks and hadn't pictured them feeding on large game fish....learn something every day.

6. I didn't know that they could take down such a large fish either. I always thought they ate a lot of trout and small panfish. interesting.....