Our 2009 Bear Season

Discussion in 'Bear Hunting' started by Steve White, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Hard to sum it all up in just on post. Hunting all but 3 days of the kill season makes for a lot of stories. Overall a good season. Ended up teaming up with a new group after drawing a line in the sand that got crossed the first day. So that made for a very interesting, and the toughest year I have ever had. just seemed to be a fight every step of the way. Never liked hunting in zone A before. Hate it even more now. just have a real hard time getting a tag in B. Same this year with not a single one. SO the bears where I hunt were safe again. Now only 3 in 11 years have been harvested. Which is great for me. Lots to run. Not to mention my daughter Sammy will have a tag next year. So she will harvest a big bear!!! So if I take anyone next year it will only be in zone B, and wil be limited to just 1 or 2 select and very lucky hunters!!

Anyhue, Teaming up with this other group we ended up with a total of 15 tags. Including 2 from the mentor hunt. We managed to fill 14 of 15. The only one not to tag out was a client of mine. He would not harvest anything less than 300lbs and in zone A that can be tough to find. It was his choice even passing on one that was figured to go 225-240. We got away with only a handful of injuries this year. Which is good.

Here are a few of the pictures of the bears that were harvested.

Dick with his

[​IMG]

Mark with his after a long week!

[​IMG]

Father with daughter for this family's first one!

[​IMG]

Father and son- A very happy family this year!

[​IMG]

2nd day of Mentor hunt(1 day hunt only)

[​IMG]

1st day of mentor hunt(1 day hunt only)

[​IMG]

These next 2 are my favorites. These were the only bear I got to hunt during season in zone B. Took a guy out that just wanted to see what hunting with hounds was about. He wanted to sit on his bait, but just in case wanted to check it out. So set it up for the first sunday of the harvest season. First pic is of one we figured to go over 300lbs. Was hard to tell how much more as he was at least 70ft up. Could back my truck right up to the tree. He passed and was excited about the whole thing. So wanted to run again. It was getting hot but checked a few baits. Second bait was hit by the bear in the other pic. Figured this guy to go over 450. hat the words 500lbs so left it at that. Ran him untl he crossd a river then pulled the dogs. No sense in getting the bear or dogs hurt if we were not going to harvest. The tag holder was happy with this day, and went on to shoot a 150lb bear over bait.:coco:

Bear in the air

[​IMG]

Big bear we ran 2nd

[​IMG]

So not a bad season, just a hard one.

Steve