safety harness

Discussion in 'General Wisconsin Hunting' started by scrappy, Nov 6, 2009.

1. I’m writing this as a safety reminder to everyone who hunts out of a tree stand. The following situation happened to me last week on an out of state hunt to Missouri.

The trip started out like any other hunting trip, and I was excited to spend as much time in the tree as possible. The first few days passed with not much action. Tuesday started with a heavy rain in the morning so the crew decided to go out as soon as the rain let up. I decided to sit the hunt out as I wasn’t feeling up to par. Tuesday night rolled around and I figured a little cold wasn’t going to stop me from sitting in the tree. Everything was going well until sometime just before 6:00pm. As I’m sitting 20 feet up in my tree, I can feel my temperature spike and I become light headed. I immediately hung my bow up, and started throwing my gear into my pack. As I’m doing this I start feeling dizzy and everything starts to become blurry. I start to get down off my seat and on to the platform as I felt this would be a safer place to sit (bigger area). Then it hit me and I passed out. The next thing I know I’m hanging in the air from my safety harness. I have no idea as to how long I was hanging there but was glad that the harness did its job. Once I came to my senses I climbed back up to the stand, and thanked God for watching over me. My thoughts then moved to my wife and kids. I wondered how this would have affected them if I was not wearing the harness. Needless to say I gathered my gear and got my but out of the stand and on to the ground for the night, and waited for my hunting partners to get out of the woods. I then spent the next couple days at the hotel with a 103 degree fever, ruining half of my hunting trip.

In closing, I never thought I would ever need to rely on my harness, but was extremely happy that I wore it. In twenty years of hunting this is the first and hopefully the last time I will need to rely on it. Please remember to wear a safety harness each and every time you climb into a stand because you’ll never know when it just might save your life. Your family will thank you for it.

Safe hunting,
    Mark D.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015