Snow depth in the North

Discussion in 'General Wisconsin Hunting' started by msuhunter, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Is their too much snow to do a late season grouse hunt in the Northern part of the state? I don't have snowshoes so anything more that a foot is probably too much to walk through. I know that a storm is coming Friday so I'm sure that will make it worse.
    :bouncy:

2. Stay home unless you can walk on snow !!

3. Steve

Steve Staff Member

You could always use snowshoes.

4. Have you ever tried to get through a willow swamp or a alder slash on snowshoes? Not an easy feat.

But a good idea.

5. Steve

Steve Staff Member

No I haven't, that would be a bitch.

6. bear paws

I use the little short, light bear paw shoes for late season hunting. Cheap ones.

Are any of you getting the warm spell we got? Some of that northern stuff should melt, I sure hope so, it's just way too early for a real heavy snow pack.

7. Steve

Steve Staff Member

Unfortunately, I don't think this thaw will last long enough to melt much snow.

8. Lost a Ton

of snow the last couple of days. You can see grass in parts of our lawn. I assume that after the cold temps hit tonight everything will be all locked up for the winter season.

Soup

9. It felt like a couple of balmy spring days this weekend. I was getting the spring steelhead itch!
    The temp has dropped quite a bit in the last few hours and is suppose to get into the single digits.

10. I live in Vilas county and we have less than a foot of snow on the ground, so the walking shouldn't be too bad.

11. Brrr!

If it's this cold for long, all the grouse will be in THICK conifers along the water-tough going for late season hunting-be careful!!