close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Some laminated Bows I have built

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Traditional Archery' started by steve ypsi mi, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Those are nice looking bows. Do you laminate first then finish sand/shape or do you glue up in a pretty well finished condition.

2. No you glue them first, there is some shaping to the handle but most is square shaping, You have to have things square to measure from before sanding, I use the tried and true 5 pounds of weights on a string to align the center line, I also leave masking tape that is put on the outer pieces of glass so you can put marks on it. I have a movie that one of the out door shows did of me making a bow, its on VHS 30 minute show , I should take it to some one to put on a cd to load into the computer, It would give you a real good Idea of the process, Its no simple job, about 40 hours of actual time involved from start to finish, Lots of small things to remember, the absolute most important thing is for the string nocks to be exactly cut in the same amount and the angle or else it will pull from one side or the other, It some times took me 2 or 3 hours of filing the string nocks and then shoot the bow to get them perfect .
    You can take a crooked piece of osage orange wood and just as long as the center line is right and the nocks perfect it will shoot as good as any thing made.
    I can tell you one thing I studied every book I could get on making bows and measured and cronagraphed a lot of older bows, the older bear bows were as good as they came even to this day, the workmanship was perfect and as efficient and a lot more so than some hand made $1000.00 bows.
    I shot hundreds of thousands of arrows over a 5 year span, the one thing and I did hear it 40 years ago from a old bow maker, the shorter the bow the more eradic it was, I started with a 68 inch long bow, won the state championship with it, I cut 2 inchs off, shot pretty fair, cut 2 more, started not grouping the same, cut 2 more off and it wasn't worth a dam, I kept the pounds the same as I cut the bow down, when you take off 2 inchs it will add about 5 pounds more to the draw, in other words if the 68 inch was 50 pounds and I cut it to 66 the bow would now draw 55 pounds
    If some one wanted a long bow shorter than a 66 inch I told them to get some one else to make it because I knew they would not be happy with it, a recure is almost Ideal at 64 inchs or longer, if you look at the old bear target bows they were 69 to 70 inch recurves, there is a reason for that, they are more stable and shoot more accurate

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
  3. Steve

Steve Staff Member

It would be very cool to take a deer with a self bow.

4. for under 30 yards you can't beat a self bow, for some reason they are really forgiving, they will kill at long distance also .
    I hunted with a 72 inch Yew bow I made (copied the length and style of the bows they found on the mary rose) the last years I hunted and stone arrow heads I Made myself, never took a shot because at this point in my hunting I wouldn't shoot any thing less than a big 10 point or larger because my kid and X all ways got a couple so I wouldn't shoot any just for meat.