Spring food plot plans

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by Steve, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Steve

Steve Staff Member

What is everyone's plan for spring plots? What date are you planting and what are you putting in?

2. Probably going to put about 3 acres of RR soybeans in. Going to be a while before I can get in my plots. Still 2 plus feet of snow in them.

3. Steve

Steve Staff Member

I'm thinking about giving frost seeding a try this year for once. Seems like the perfect year for it but I don't know how the yield is on that versus tilling.

4. Got a food plot question----last year started my second small plot--1/3 acre----first year planted and late so i put in winter wheat---grew super deer found it and totally kept it mowed down almost to the dirt, then vamoosed-----any other ideas for a small plot, wish to use it for hunting later in fall H H

5. Steve

Steve Staff Member

I like winter wheat but like you I have problems with the deer over browsing it. In that regard, it is better than most things you can plant as it does grow back assuming they haven't ripped it out by the roots.

6. Steve frost seeding clover is the best way in spring if you have a fairly weed free area to start. Broadcast your clover seed at a heavier rate than you would if tilling.

7. Try winter rye, it is more vigorous in growth when the deer are really hitting plot hard. If you are worried that your deer won't hit the winter rye use a 50/50 mix of winter rye and winter wheat. I always aim to get my cereal grain plots in the last week of August to 1st week of September. This gives the plot a chance to grow a little before the deer really start hammering it. Also I use about 150 pounds per acre. You could add some Austrian Winter peas if you want. The deer can't resist.

8. Steve

Steve Staff Member

Well I got my spring plots in. Planted wheat. The deer probably won't even let that stuff come out of the ground before they eat it they are so hungry.