The Big Bad Wolf

Discussion in 'General Wisconsin Hunting' started by spinner, Mar 11, 2013.

1. spinner

spinner Staff Member

My friend Dan Braun was trout fishing in Central Richland County and stumbled upon these weird "large" tracks. The number of toes just didn't wash with any known big animal in the area. With some research and asking around I believe I determined what made the tracks and the reason for the odd number of toes.

[​IMG]
    While they are stalking something, wolves are very deliberate and slow in their movement. They typically step with their back paws right into the front footprints to minimize the sound created by numerous steps breaking through the crusty snow.

Wolves typically walk in a straight line and don't wander like dogs do. One of my friends live in the area the photos were taken in. He is a predator hunter and while coyote calling he has called in three large wolves. One has a tracking radio collar. He believes a pack has established itself in central Richland County

[​IMG]

I don't know about you, but the more I learn the more scared I get. A large wolf in stalk mode on my trout streams makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up and I now will be listening much closer when I go fishing.

Photos by: Dan Braun

2. Try dragging a deer out of the woods after dark!!!!!! Between packs of Coyotes and now Wolves it gets quite hairy at times--My small group of bow hunters has now lost 4 deer to wolves in the past couple of years, If you do not knock deer down quickly , You will have to get on track almost immediately---In jackson Clark counties we have put up with wolves for at least 10 years now !! P.S. we are noticing more and more Wolf sign and less and less deer sign also, At first local dnr said we had no wolves, then just a couple, now we have been told they are trapping some to relocate becuase we are overloaded with wolves. Typical dnr,

3. A lawsuit has been started to stop any wolf seasons in the great lakes states. The main point of it is the groups want to see expanded wolf range, like in Illinois and Iowa, the wolf is in almost every county in WI from what I hear. A smart animal, and far more adaptable than was ever thought before the current population boom.