Tree planting

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by kurtish, Apr 11, 2008.

1. kurtish

kurtish Guest

I received my trees from the Wi DNR nursery yesterday. The trees were 2 yr. old stock and look to be really healthy. I'm planting some bottom ground and a little bit of upland with White cedar, white spruce and black spruce. Pretty miserable planting weather but I did manage to get 300 in the ground before work tonight. Anyone else doing some tree planting this spring? Hopefully when the weather breaks I'll be able to get some photo's of the planting process.

2. Steve

Steve Staff Member

You must plant one per minute!

3. kurtish

kurtish Guest

Steve,
    it moved right along, I guess I averaged 1.2 minutes a tree....my hands and back are feeling it now though. The next 700 probably won't go in nearly as quick...unless I start putting 2 or 3 in every hole:wink:

4. I only have a 1,000 trees coming in this year but luckily they don't come in until the first week of May. I'm planting lowland species too this year. Hopefully it will dry out a little in the next few weeks.

5. kurtish

kurtish Guest

Honker,
    The forecast looks pretty good for drying things out this week. My ground has dried up alot in just the last two days, but there's plenty of moisture on in the lowest areas that I'm planting. I can make sure that all the air pockets are out by standing next to the seedling and waiting for the bubbles to stop coming out of the soil:lol:. What varieties are you planting? Are you hand planting or getting a tree planter?

6. kurtish

kurtish Guest

Here's the layout of my 21 acre piece of ground

[​IMG]

I bought this parcel last June with the intent of building a home on it and having some bowhunting opportunities right out the front door. I seeded "cave in rock" switchgrass about 4 weeks ago onto sod that I killed last september with roundup. I also sprayed the majority of my planting area located along the gravel road on the north end of the property. I selected 400 black spruce and 400 white cedar to be planted in the low ground and 200 white spruce for a few select areas on the higher ground. The trees are planted in rows in the previously sprayed areas, and the rest are being planted at random. The randomly planted trees all get a marking flag so I can come back in a few weeks and spray around them using a bucket to protect the seedling from the herbicide.

Here's a photo from the gravel road looking over the roundup killed sod planting area
    [​IMG]

This area was mowed at the end of August and then sprayed two weeks later in September. I got a really good kill which has made the hand planting of the trees pretty easy.
    Planting trees is a lot of work but probably one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever done(as long as they don't all die:mad:). Hopefully all the local wildlife will benefit....and hopefully it will help me to fill my freezer with venison in the upcoming years:biggrin:

7. Looks good!

Let's see this year tamarack, white cedar, black spruce, white birch, red maple, swamp white oak, white spruce, aspen, white oak going in the ground by hand. The last two years we got a tree planted and put in a total of about 15,000. So hopefully we will be blessed with some decent weather like we have been in the past.

Your plantings look well planned. We (brother and I) did the same thing with 75 acres. I planted 18 acres of prairie mix in the fall of 06'. I'm hoping this will be its break through year.

It is rewarding! It will be unbelievable in five years to think back that I planted all of 16,000 trees in course of about 4 days work. We have had a lot of good help and some good planning to make it a painless process.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2008
  8. kurtish

kurtish Guest

Honker,
    It sounds like you've been pretty busy the last few seasons. What kind of a mix did you go with on your prairie planting? Have you planted white cedar in the past? Did you do anything for browsing protection with them? I'm thinking about purchasing some rigid plastic cages for protecting the cedar but I'm not sure whether it will be worth the cost. Sorry to throw so many questions at ya but this land management thing has me so excited I can't help myself :biggrin:

9. Yes it has been a busy few years but it has been very fun and rewarding. The trees that we do have planted are pushing 80-90% survival. It's really been encouraging. One of the guys from DNR nursery came out and was very impressed with the growth. I took some pride in that.

My prairie planting is primarily big bluestem, switchgrass, indiangrass, false white indigo, and black-eyed susan. The lowland has more forbs mixed in but I can't remember all those off the top of my head.

I haven't planted many white cedars primarily just because of the location but I do have cedars growing up from seed which every forester I've had walk the property was amazed by. I haven't seen any browse on them at all. I planted some canadian hemlock which is supposed to be another deer favorite and they are doing well also. I have a few tubes on some of the oaks just to see how they compare but I wouldn't put those on cedars. I don't think they do well in tubes. I think you would have to cage them.

Our motto now is "kill a doe and save a tree". I hear you on the excitement. Wait until you get them all in the ground and you have to wait for them to grow. It will drive you nuts! :lol: Questions are always welcome.

10. Managed to get 500 white spruce in the ground this weekend. Other varieties are deer salad unless caged and too much work for that. Hope this year has more rain than last. Probably less than 30% made it from the several thousand planted last year.

The weekend before that was some wildlife trees from local turkey club. Those I put tubes on and will have to raise up as they grow. Trying to reuse some 4 ft tubes but really need at least 5 ft to be beyond the "venison vermin".

Just saw the first of some plum trees starting to bloom up in Shawano county. Probably a good week or more behind last year.

11. kurtish

kurtish Guest

Welcome to the forum Pinchdatail! Where did you get your nursery stock from?
    This spring has definitely been slow to come on. Keep us posted to how your trees do this upcoming season.

12. buck83

buck83 Guest

Pinchdatail, Where did you purchase your tree tubes? I've been looking on-line, but the minimum purchase has been 50 units. I only need 20 for some sawtooth oaks I am planting.

13. I tried to Spam URLs, but was prevented by WisconsinOutdoorsman.com management. Please bring me to the attention of the moderation staff.

14. I tried to Spam URLs, but was prevented by WisconsinOutdoorsman.com management. Please bring me to the attention of the moderation staff.

15. Not sure what's happening with messages I've typed. Will try later, gotta go.....