U.P. deer hunting

Discussion in 'General Wisconsin Hunting' started by Portage75, Mar 25, 2010.

1. My Father in law just inherited 40 acres up in the U.P. near Manestique. Anyone know how the hunting is up there.

2. Manistique

I live in Manistique. What area is your new camp in?

3. Steve

Steve Staff Member

Depends if there is any surrounding farm land, etc. Does your hunting land have any type of food plots or other habitat improvements?

4. not sure exactly where it is. all i know is it is about 15 min from manestique right off hwy 2. we are headin up on wednesday to take a look at the property.

5. Sounds great. More deer in the southern U.P.

6. i Checked out the property looks promising lot of deer sign. It looks like it borders alot of state land also. i know its a different type of hunting than around south central wi but i kind of miss the more traditional hunting like it was 20 years ago. The grouse hunting looks good too.

7. up deer hunting

I grew up in gulliver michigan. Own part of 200 acres. I live in sheboygan wisconsin now but , am thinking of deer hunting under hunted land. E-mailed the mich state police to see if I need to reg my guns before coming and was told no handguns at all could be brought across the wisconsin border and guns had to have 30" + barrels. I think it B.S any body have a take?

8. i just looked at the mi dnr site and the only thing i saw about that stuff is you need a concealed pistol liscence from the state you live in to take a pistol into mi. saw nothing that states a min 30 in barrel length that just seams crazy.

9. Rifles need to have a barrel of 16" or more measured from bolt face to end of barrel. Shotguns 18" or more. Overall they need to be 30" from end of barrel to the butt of the stock.

10. gotcha thanks for the input, thought that sounded a little crazy!

11. I wish I would have saved the E-mail I was sent. It was not as clear as yours. Glad thats cleared up but I would sure like to be able to carry a hand gun bow hunting because it's thick with bear there. Shotgun will have to do if needed.

12. Any one know food plot rules for the U.P ? Would like to start to manage land for deer and birds if legal.

13. I am pretty sure that the baiting is not as strict. You can use automatic feeders also. The people that I have herd from say its actually kind of a joke. You have a feeder set at the same time every day, and the deer get used to it. So pretty much when you go up there to hunt, u can set your watch by the deer. Ive heard that from 2 people, obviously its going to be different everywhere. If it really is that simple, it might not be as sporting, but to each their own. Check the regs, I am not that familiar with them.

14. i talked to one guy up there he said you could only bait during season ans only two gallons of bait at one time.

15. up baiting regs from website

(3) For the purposes of this section, "bait" means a substance composed of grains, minerals, salt, fruits, vegetables, hay, or any other food materials, whether natural or manufactured, which may lure, entice or attract deer. "Bait" does not include the establishment and maintenance of plantings for wildlife, foods found scattered solely as the result of normal agricultural planting or harvesting practices, foods available to deer through normal agricultural practices of livestock feeding if the area is occupied by livestock actively consuming the feed on a daily basis, or standing farm crops under normal agricultural practices. For the purposes of this section, "baiting" means to place, deposit, tend, distribute, or scatter bait to aid in the taking of a deer.
    (4) It shall be unlawful for a person to make use of bait to aid in the taking of a deer within the Lower Peninsula.
    (5) In the Upper Peninsula a person may engage in baiting only if all of the following conditions apply:
    (a) The baiting occurs only from October 1 to January 1.
    (b) The bait material may be of any food type.
    (c) The bait is scattered directly on the ground by any means, including mechanical spin-cast feeders, provided that the spin-cast feeder does not distribute on the ground more than the maximum volume allowed as described in subdivision (d) of this subsection. "Scattered" means that the bait is dispersed or thrown over a minimum of a 10‑foot by 10-foot or equivalent area so that individual pieces of bait are separated and not placed in piles. The purpose of scattering is to mimic natural feeding conditions.
    (d) The volume of bait used at any 1 point in time shall not exceed 2 gallons at any 1 hunting site.