Unnamed stream

Discussion in 'Mississippi River Basin' started by spinner, May 2, 2009.

1. spinner

spinner Staff Member

Unnamed stream (Bugger Gut)

caught my very first trout on an unnamed stream. I traditionally go there on May Opener. The last 2 floods really flattened it out. Lots of the holes don't exist anymore.

Looked at it from the bridge I usually start from. It was a mere trickle of what it use to be. I was a little sad. My dad named the stream.

I remember the huge trout I caught on it at age 5. My dad wading in to a deep hole and trapping the monster in the net and against his chest. That hole was about 6 inches deep. I walked downstream looking for some depth in the water. No luck.

Walking back to the bridge was bittersweet. I was going to move on and try a different stream. Decided to go upstream a little way. It started to get a little deeper. I found a nice drop pocket and landed 3 decent browns. couple were 14ers.

Walk around a bend and there was a beaver dam. I caught 11 trout in this dam. The trout were running in to one another trying to take my presentation. ALL the trout were skinny in that hole. 8 of the 11 trout were 16-17 incher.

Bugger Gut LIVES!

2. Steve

Steve Staff Member

Isn't it something how some big storms and floods can really change the water you've come to know so well?