Wisconsin Big buck/doe contest picture thread

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by kurtish, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kurtish

kurtish Guest

Steve i couldn't figure out where to post my picture for the contest so i'm starting this thread for everyone to post into. I hope this will be alright.

[​IMG]

2. Steve

Steve Staff Member

Thats fine. Wow what a buck!

3. here is a picture of the buck I shot last week in Missouri. Hopingto get a bigger one here in WI!

[​IMG]

4. younggun

younggun Guest

Well I got out Sunday night and shot a big doe. I got to stand about 1:30 pm and got set for the cold after noon. I had a northwest wind right in my face, hoping to see a big buck.

At 3:00 I had a spike come from behind me and right under the tree. I let him feed and I looked at him for a bit. He was a big body spike, so I studied him as he fed up. I heard walking in the leaves and look to see this big doe standing under the stand.

I let her get out to the bait pile where the spike and her met. I looked at her with the binocs, and studied her for a bit. I guessed her at 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 years old with no fawns. She would not let the spike in the pile and would run him off. The spike took off down the trail and split.

She came back and stood with her butt to me for a long time. Then she took 2 steps to the right. I set the pin on my Forge Smoke, lower then I wanted and let it fly. She jumped the string, hitting a little higher then I wanted. But the Slick Trick came out under the off side shoulder. She went 20 yards and stopped. That is where she laid. I saw her drop from the stand. I still waited 30 minutes to see if a buck came in. I got out of stand and checked on her and to tag up.

I made a few calls to get some help as I walked to the truck. By the time I got to the truck and every one was there.

A big thanks to Steve Huber's Outdoorfrontiers, QAD, Slick Tricks and F.O.Bs.
    [​IMG]

5. Steve

Steve Staff Member

Keep them coming guys.

6. kurtish

kurtish Guest

I made it out for a short 3 hour sit this evening before my shift at work and it paid off. I went to my 21 acres where my home is currently under construction. They have built the framework on my front deck so I threw a couple of plyboards down to sit on and just kicked back to enjoy the snowflurries and see if any deer would show up.
    Around 4pm i heard shots to my south and within 5 minutes this guy appeared a mere 30 yards away just up the hillside traveling with his nose into the wind. I found a small hole to slip a bullet through the brush and when he entered it I let him have it. Not a real monster but I'm tickled pink to have him come from my own property, and will be proud to put him on my wall.
    Not the greatest picture as I had to hurry to avoid being late for work and I was alone so I had to use the self timer.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2008
  7. Steve

Steve Staff Member

Um nice place to have a house built! It's going to be very tough to pick a winner for our contest. You guys are making it hard on me.

8. Kurtish, looks like your having yourself a pretty good year. Congrats!

9. I went up to Bayfield County for the Wisconsin Gun Season. This was the 23rd season that I have hunted up there. There was about 2 inches of snow on the ground for Opening Day. Get out to stand and the thermometer says it is a balmy 5 below zero. Get into stand about 1/2 hour before daylight. It was so quiet that you could hear a pin drop. When every thing settled down and it got light out about 7 am I give about 7 grunts on the call. About 5 minutes later I hear a deer walking towards me on my right. The deer is getting closer but I can not see it as it is approaching my stand thru some of the thickest stuff. The deer stops and doesn't come into my shooting lane. I sit waiting and nothing happens. I think about grunting again but decide to wait for a while. About 15 minutes go by and I hear another deer approaching my stand from my left side, this deer I can see and as it gets about 40 yards away I see it is a spike buck. Then I hear the other deer on my right start walking closer to me so I focus on this deer to see what it is. It gets about 40 yards away from me in the thickest stuff that is by my stand and I can see it is a large deer. It stops behind a very large Pine tree and all I can see is it's neck, can't see it's head or shoulder. It takes one more step and I now see that it is a shooter. In the mean time the Spike buck has busted me and takes off running. I have the scope on the shooter but have all kinds of branches in the way. I settle in on the neck of the Buck in between the branches as it was quartering towards me and squeeze the trigger. The buck humps up and takes off towards my walk in trail and runs directly away from me out of sight and then I hear it crash about 80 yards from stand. I look at my watch and it is 7:35. I get out of my stand to go take a look. Sorry for the blood in the pics but with the cold temps the blood froze almost instantly and made it next to impossible to clean up before the pictures were taken. Tried taking pictures with the timer but that didn't work real well with the cold either. This guy must of been a fighter because 6 out of the eight points are broken.

[​IMG]

10. Steve

Steve Staff Member

Tom, nice story and very nice buck. Thanks for sharing.

11. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the deer and a little story behind it. It's a 13 pointer with an 18 in. inside spread. Estimated score 150-160. Brows are bladed tines 6 in.+. My name is Paul Coburn. I am a 19 year old student and football player at UW-Oshkosh. My dad(Elliott, pictured here) and I were bowhunting on a close family friends land on the morning of Nov. 9. Around 6:45 am I caught movement out of the corner of my eye to the right behind me. I heard the buck walking behind me no more than 10 yds. behind my tree. When he stepped into view and I saw his rack, buck fever hit me. I drew back and hit him quartering away at 20 yds. I got down out of my stand to get my dad. When I walked up to his stand, my dad stood up, put his hands above his head like horns, and pointed at a scrape near him, saying there was a monster here! He never did get a shot as it was behind a tree and facing him. I said to him, yea I know dad i just shot him! We tracked him down and celebrated my first deer with a bow and by far the biggest deer either of us had ever gotten. The fact that I've hunted with my dad since I was twelve, that he saw the deer first, and was more excited that I shot it than if he had, made the whole experience something I will never forget.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
  12. Great looking deer guys.

13. Great buck Hunt/fishman! I love those tall brow tines! Great story as well, thanks for sharing.

14. Steve

Steve Staff Member

Nice buck Hunt/fishman. Keep the entries coming, time is running out.

15. wow, some great deer

Congrats to all, I got a doe, no pics, unfortunately. She wasn't very big, but she sure ate well. Young, that's how I like them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.