Wisconsin Hog

Discussion in 'General Wisconsin Hunting' started by spinner, Mar 25, 2008.

1. spinner

spinner Staff Member

Hogman *Bob Messling*

[​IMG]

Bob with another one bites the dust.

Bob hunts with his Three dogs in southwestern wisconsin.

2. So if I'm fishing the southern most driftless area I have a chance to see a hog like that?

What's the season on those beasts??

3. spinner

spinner Staff Member

details

Feral hogs in Wisconsin are an unwanted species for several reasons. Disease, crop damage, property damage, erosion, and competition for food top the concerns. Presently feral hogs are classified as an unprotected species. Anyone interested in hunting them must possess a small game hunting license. There is no registration, tagging, season, or hunting hour restrictions.
    The DNR and USDA-Wildlife Services confirm that feral hogs cause "considerable" crop damage, primarily to corn during it's early development stage and "milk" stage. In addition to the crop damage concern is the disease risk. Feral hogs are know to carry pseudo rabies and Swine Brucellosis. Being a wild animal the risk of attack to humans exists, however there has been no attack reports received in our area. Like any other wild animal, especially a feral hog, it's a possibility. But, not a cause to stay indoors. The feral hogs are extremely wild and flee when human scent or presence in detected.

Origin at the present time is unknown. They are either domestic hogs gone feral or they were illegally stocked. For the most part, the feral hogs appearance is like a Russian Boar, even though color varies from black, to brown, to multicolor.

During the 2008 winter trapping efforts, USDA-Wildlife Services was responsible for the removal (trapping/shooting) of 20 feral hogs and the DNR killed one other. Private property owners/hunters killed another 4. 25 total killed this winter that we are aware of. The DNR, State Dept. of Ag and USDA encourage citizens to report sightings

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
  4. Boysen

Boysen Guest

We killed 20 in SE Iowa. Someone turned 4 out and in less than a year we killed 20 we think/hope we got them all for now.

5. We are starting to experience the same problem in Michigan. But the population of them has been isolated. I'm intrested in knowing how far south in Wisconsin they have migrated too?

6. Besides the DNR website, are there any good places to see where Hogs have been found in Wisconsin, web or on foot? The only good piece of information I found was a map the DNR has posted by township as to where reports/kills have been made. Would be nice to know more locally if I have them in the area.:coco::dizzy: Might be worth buying the license for them then.:idea: Hate to be out hunting deer this fall and have to let them walk because I don't have that small game license...same for all hunters anywhere.

7. Bacon is good but off my diet. Everyone you see, exterminate and don't worry bout anything else. I wonder if wolves like pork? LOL
    I have some land in one of the area's that the DNR has marked on the map, I am still waiting to see one.:tsk:

8. Same here when I reviewed the map. I am within one of the areas but I have not seen them either.

Does sound like the DNR has a work around for those without a small game license. You can contact the DNR with the sighting and they can authorize you to take the hog.

Hmmmmm...

Not to nit-pick here, but the DNR seems to wants this invasive species removed and they don't want hunters to think of this as "game", then they should allow any individual who purchases any hunting license to shoot these animals on the spot and report it to them. :dizzy: With the spiratic nature of the sightings, no chance to tell if you would see them again after you made the phone call.:confused:

I guess that makes too much sense then.