Wisconsin Outdoors 2009 Spring Turkey Contest.

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Turkey Hunting' started by JW!, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Two days down and no one bragin. Maybe my tag for next week will be right timing. I am seeing lots of birds in the fields at full strut early morning.

2. Steve

Steve Staff Member

Can't wait to start seeing the pictures.

3. MIGHT BE TUFF IN MY AREA OF ZONE 1 - 4 SECTIONS AND ONLY 2 BIRDS SEEN........WINTER KILL REALLY TOOK ITS TOLL FOR THE 2nd YR IN A ROW!

4. report

I wasn't in the contest but i'll throw my report here if that works...
    I hunted the better part of all day Saturday and Sunday morning in Zone 1. I didn't put one down, but saw roughly a dozen...two toms, a couple jakes and a bunch of hens. I couldn't get the toms quite close enough. They seemed pretty content with the ladies they were with.
    I also talked to few toms that wouldn't leave the woods.
    Good Luck to everyone the rest of the spring. Hopefully someone can get some pics up here.

5. Steve

Steve Staff Member

Yeah I think it was a tough winter all around for the turkeys.

6. I hunted the first season and I would have to say it was the best season we have had. When I say we, I mean me, my dad, and my brother. My dad and I both had tags, we also called for friends and family members that had tags this season. The first day my dad, his friend, and myself all had our birds by 10:30am. Thursday I went out to take some pictures, saw 5 toms, 3 jakes, and 4 hens. Friday my brother called one in for his father-in-law, and got his brother-in-law an oppertunity at a bird. My dad, his friend, and I went out with a guy and had three encounters with birds but could not seal the deal. Saturday my dad and his friend took that guy out again and got him his bird. My brother also called one in and his brother-in-law got his turkey. In all we had six birds down opening week. I would have to say we were very fortunate and had luck on our side. The birds seemed pretty responsive, but things slowed down once the heat started to pick up around noon. My bird was 23 pounds and had 1 1/8" spurs (I did not measure the beard yet).[​IMG]

7. What a great story and hunt. Memories for a lifetime. It's fun to share such times with good friends. My time starts wed. with my sons. Great picture.

8. Boysen

Boysen Guest

I have been busy at work so I have not checked the site in a few weeks. I'm working on killing my first bird with a bow. It is a lot harder than I was thinking it would be. I have been out 4 times a if I would of been hunting with a gun I could of had a bird every time out.

9. Scrappy. that is awesome! Good job. Time with dad and family coupled with scoring opening morning but then being able to continue the fun with others is what this turkey hunting is all about!
    How did you like the weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How awesome is that huh? Cool in the morning hot at night and every day was different than the next. I agree, it was the best season I have ever hunted in to date. The birds were loud,ballsy,and plain ole pumped for summer IMHO!
    I get to call for the rest of my family this year now! I can not wait!

10. Boysen

Boysen Guest

I'm still on the hunt for my first ever bird with my bow.