Worked On Some Food Plots

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by Terrific_tom, May 3, 2009.

1. Got out yesterday and disced some plots in preparation for planting soybeans. Felt great to get out and turn some dirt after a long winter. Great therapy, I forget about all the economic woes that our Country is expierencing We still have chance of frost in Wisconsin so it will be a few weeks before I can plant but getting the plots disced now will save some time when I can plant.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This second plot had some rye and wheat in part of it that I disked under for green manure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Steve

Steve Staff Member

I guarrantee you the deer will be in there tonight. Nothing like the smell of fresh earth to them.

3. Tom
    Real nice tool you got there. What type of soil you got that it cuts thru so darn nice? I only ask cause it dont look like its more than a few hundred pounds? My disk I would never cut like that on my ground and mine is 900 pounds? Like I said, you got it goin on with that tool !
    I planted the soys in late june (on purpose) a couple years back and had great success even with the late planting.

4. I believe they call it Antigo Silt Loam. The disc weighs around 500lbs if I remember correctly.

5. Tom

Bring that baby over to Merrill. I'll pay for the gas and burn ya a steak and all the soda or barly pop you want. I have about a acre I want disked behind the house so it's not overly large. I can rent a disk from our rental place but I don't have a ATV to pull it with and it's to tight to get the neighbors tractor back there or I would have had it done already.

6. Steve

Steve Staff Member

The correlation between the fresh earth smell and deer activity is to the point where I've been tempted when I'm down to the wire in the deer season, to go till a fresh strip in a radius right around my stands.

7. Unfortunately my next 3 weekends I am going to be out of town or I might have taken you up on your offer. This weekend I have a Brewer Game and following 2 weekends I will be in South Texas.

8. No Worries!! Have a fun time.