Wow Check This Brassica Plot Out

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Habitat' started by Terrific_tom, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Went up to land to try to get in a Late Season Bow Hunt yesterday. 4 degrees out with 20 mph wind with a wind chill of minus 17 degrees decide just to check trailcams and do a little walking instead. This is what I found in my Brassica plot that was planted with Shot Plot. The snow depth was about 18 to 24 inches deep. I guess I have to plant more of this next season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Looks like some major deer traffic! You need to plant more of that next year. My friend plants the same stuff and he seems to really like the attention the deer give it.

3. kurtish

kurtish Guest

They've definitely been loving your brassicas. Mine look really similar but the usage is going to drop off pretty quickly on mine due to them being nearly gone. If you wan't to save some money on your brassica planting next spring I'd look into ordering seed from welter's. It will save you from paying for the picture of the big buck on the bag of seed. Here's a link: http://www.welterseed.com

4. Steve

Steve Staff Member

What do you guys think about frost seeding. How good does it work? How early can you do it? If you broadcast seed on top of snow, will it percolate down and germinate in the spring?

5. kurtish

kurtish Guest

Steve,
    Frost seeding is an excellent way to start clovers, but I would recommend waiting till late winter when the snow recedes. It's the freezing thawing action that works the seed into the soil surface so you won't get any benefit by seeding before we get into warm days/cool nights type of weather. With Brassicas you will want to wait until mid-late august to plant.

Tom, when did you plant your brassicas?

I planted the week of labor day this year and mine came up and really flourished this season. All I did was spray roundup and seeded with a handspreader the very same day. I may have some pics in my camera, I'll look for them later tonight.

6. I plant mine the end of July to get maximum growth. I usually buy my Shot Plot at Fleet Farm in 10lb bags when they are on sale and have found that the price is very close or better than what I can get it online or at Feedmills.

7. a well placed plot

The plots are really important after so many other fall foods are gone-glad to see the deer are still able to utilize this one. Keep planting, it works.

8. Tom
    Thats awesome! Makes you feel good eh? Is the amount of tracks suprising to you (the quantity not because its in your plot) for your area or are you used to seeing alot of deer? I also plant late July early Aug. I think Sept. 1 is a bit too late if you want turnip "late season action and food"growth to take you thru the winter. Kurtish, you should give planting a month earlier a try some year and see how good that works you.
    Watching the deer dig up a turnip after all the greens are gone and the ground is froze is hilarious. If you didnt know what was down there you would wonder what that deer was smokin!
    Nice pics Tom